Planning the Perfect Wellness Month
By now you know that investing in Employee Wellness pays off very quickly and the benefits are substantial. Infusing your office with a culture of health, however, can be quite difficult. We understand that not all companies have the time or means to implement a full scale employee wellness program, so we have created a guide to help you introduce wellness into your workplace with a designated Wellness Month!
Here is a step-by-step guide for planning an effective and well-balanced wellness month!
- Designate Planning Group –The first step is to decide who will be in charge of the wellness month. Perhaps it is the Human Resources department or maybe a Wellness Committee that includes a group of employees who are passionate about health and fitness.
- Set Budget – Evaluate your budget and decide how much you can put towards employee wellness. This step is crucial in deciding what activities to choose for the month. Even if you have a slim or no budget all, there are still activities that you can do to promote healthy living! Also, be sure to check with your health insurance company to see if they have a wellness fund you can draw from.
- Decide Month – Decide what month is best for your company to designate as the wellness month. Consider the time of the year and do not schedule during the busy season for your company. You should try to avoid months that are stressful or chaotic with tight deadlines (tax season) and definitely not during the holidays. You want as much participation as possible so scheduling your Wellness Month during a time when employees are relaxed and are in their normal every day routines (not traveling) is ideal.
- Topics – The full wellness spectrum consists of several various topics. We suggest choosing 4 topics and assigning a topic to each week of the month. Survey your employees to find the topics of interest to ensure the most participation as possible. Some topics to consider are Nutrition, Weight Loss, Heart Health, Physical Activity/Exercise, Stress Management, Positivity, Mental Health, Office Ergonomics, and Financial Wellness, just to name a few.
- Events & Activities – Be sure to host an event or activity each week and topic that gets employees out and engaged. Some ideas to consider are to host a Lunch & Learn or Seminar, Cooking Class, Health Fair, Walk/Run in a 5k, or Yoga Class.
- Materials – Provide employees with educational materials about each topic. This can include brochures, an email blast filled with tips and articles, and even a bulletin board placed in the office designated to health articles.
- Incentives – Incentives aren’t always necessary but they do drive participation rates and add an element of fun! Some ideas are to provide a “swag bag” filled for participation with health items that have your company’s logo printed – water bottles, sweat towels, workout bands, etc. Or have a raffle or big prize like cash or a gift card awarded to those who participate in all 4 wellness activities.
- Communication/Promotion – Once you have all the details of your Wellness Month planned out, you will need to create a plan for how you are going to promote the events to your employees and communicate with them. Some ideas are to start with an email blast, place flyers and signs around your office, and to promote it at staff meetings.
Be sure to download your Employee Wellness Month Planning Guide by clicking here. Contact A Stronger Workplace to learn how we can help with you Wellness Month through our various services! 770-617-3366 or Megan@astrongerworkplace.com